
If you have wandering around the ferry plaza you may have seen Boccalone.
I found out about this purveyor of pork from a web search on meat CSAs. My friend and I were all set to get in on some wholesome beef and chicken when we were sidetracked by the the vision of "salted pig parts" coming at us twice a month. Twice a month!!
So every two weeks, it's Christmas. We are developing a ritual. We take turns picking it up. The pickupper arrives at the doorstep with brown box in hand. Eagerly we get out the knives and cut thin slices of what is inside.
We rarely sit down and plate it, just stand around the kitchen, exhibiting little moans. When my mom was here we put some pate on a plate. Cause it's mom. You don't want her thinking you just stand there with a knife on a Saturday morning eating salami out of a brown box.Today's breakfast of plenty came to me courtesy of that little brown box. The brown box of piggy flavor.
It looks fatty but it's sliced so thin and when you cook it it crisps up quick. It's not salty exactly, the main flavor you get is intensely pork, almost gamey.
Unlike regular bacon this stuff isn't about texture and salt, it's about that gamey porky quality and fat.
I cut the bacon into little chunks fried it crispy, and then I broke two eggs on top of it in the pan and fried it sunny side up.
fantastic.
No comments:
Post a Comment