
Ok, Tully and Vargas, stop yer clever little jokes and witticisms.
I made cheese.
It was crazy easy, and really I am not the first person to say so.
http://becksposhnosh.blogspot.com/2006/01/homemade-ricotta.html
if you like bacon.
http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/000282.html
if you don't.
It has two ingredients. milk and buttermilk. yeah, that is it.
Oh and you don't really need a candy thermometer you can see when it gets all separated.Someone online even told me that an old pillow case work as well as cheesecloth.
One tip though: do not let the thing cook for very long when it gets to the separated stage. It makes it tough.
Anyway the question you might be asking. Is it worth it? Yeah it probably is.
1. It takes pretty much 15 minutes and most of that isn't even active, just letting it drain.
2. It is SO fresh tasting and creamy amazing with fruit, so a great company summer dessert. just dump some chopped up fruit, maybe macerated with sugar. It definitly tastes fresher than Calabro which is my current ricotta favorite.
4. It's cheaper that the good stuff.
I made it with Raw milk and to be honest I am not sure this makes such a difference. plus it is too pricy that way I say go for something super fresh like strauss.
My next test is try and make it without buttermilk.
5 comments:
I heart cheese.
This seems pretty easy! I will give it a shot soon and let you know how it comes out. I bet the baby would like it.
it's CRAZY easy, the baby will love it. it's very creamy and delicous with fruit.
Yeah, I'll give it a whirl, too.
I like the new game of "scare Boy Sean with food". Make him mushroom pie, and tell him you're "eating locally" because you picked the shrooms yourself in Golden Gate park.
I'll pay you $5 :-)
Post a Comment